If you’re lucky enough to be jetting off somewhere this summer, there are some simple steps for holidaymakers to make the airport experience run smoothly, even with the kids!
- Write down everything you need to do before you leave, so nothing is forgotten, from medical insurance and pet care, to booking extra leg room and organising car hire etc.
- Creating a check list of items for your suitcase will mean you won’t forget essentials like sun cream.
- Check your passports are up to date, and don’t hide it somewhere obscure so you can’t remember where you put it.
- Find out if you require visas for the destination well in advance.
- Make sure you have both sterling and foreign currency on you for any in-flight needs, and of course for a temporary visa at your destination airport if required.
- When travelling with the elderly or those with additional needs such as a wheelchair, pre-book assistance with your airline or tour operator.
- If travelling with children, ensure you have toys and books to keep them entertained during the whole of the journey.
Save queuing time by checking-in online – this is usually 24 hours prior to your flight.
- If you are able to travel light, take hand luggage only so you don’t have to wait for your baggage at the other end – and remember to carry the correct liquid allowance.
- Arrive at the airport early to beat the queues and do any last-minute shopping if needed.
- Pay attention to the airport information screens where updates and announcements on your flight details will be posted.